lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From <p.bod...@centrum.cz>
Subject Re: Setting of TMP in solr.cmd (for Windows) causes invisibility of the Solr to JDK monitoring tools
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:43:15 GMT
Hi Erick,

thanks for your feedback, so I've created a corresponding issue in here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12776

Hopefully that will suffice :)

Regards

Petr

for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6833 about 4 years ago:

>>   set TMP=!SOLR_HOME:%EXAMPLE_DIR%=!
>>   IF NOT "%TMP%"=="%SOLR_HOME%" (
>>     set "SOLR_LOGS_DIR=%SOLR_HOME%\..\logs"
>>     set "LOG4J_CONFIG=file:%EXAMPLE_DIR%\resources\log4j.properties"
>>   )
>>
>> Apparently, the new variable "TMP" is just a temporary one, but by coincidence, this
variable is also important for JVM! As this system variable tells where the "hsperfdata_<username>"
directory for storing applications' monitoring data should be located. And if this is changed,
JDK tools like JVisualVM and others won't locally see the given Java application, because
they search in a different default location. Tested with Java 8u152 and Solr 6.3.0.

>> So Solr authors, could you please rename that "TMP" variable to something else, or
maybe remove it completely (not sure about the latter alternative)? Hopefully it is as easy
as described above and I haven't overlooked some special meaning of that problematic lines...