lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr admin client crash - caused by too many fields
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2018 15:34:22 GMT
On 8/10/2018 7:38 AM, ruby wrote:
> I have 60 thousand fields in schema. When I go to the Analysis page to
> analyze a field content
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/#/collection1/analysis?analysis.fieldvalue=xyz&analysis.query=xyz&analysis.fieldname=field1&verbose_output=0
>
> the admin panel crashes and shows error: Connection to Solr lost. Please see
> Solr instance.
>
> The Solr log shows following error:
>
> 2018-08-10 09:37:49.745 INFO  (qtp870698190-19) [   x:collection1]
> o.a.s.c.S.Request [collection1]  webapp=/solr path=/admin/luke
> params={show=schema&wt=json&_=1533908056267} status=0 QTime=17709
> 2018-08-10 09:37:49.748 INFO  (qtp870698190-19) [   x:collection1]
> o.a.s.s.HttpSolrCall Unable to write response, client closed connection or
> we are shutting down
> org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException

EofException is an indication that a TCP connection was closed by the
other side, which eventually gets noticed when this side tries to send
data down the connection.  Since idle timeouts that haven't been changed
are typically either 50 or 60 seconds, this would indicate that
something took a VERY long time to happen, so one end or the other
eventually gave up.  It takes a bit of time to transfer information
about 60000 fields, but even with that many I would not expect the admin
UI's processes to take long enough for EofException to occur.

What is the heap size on your Solr install?  You might be running into a
situation where the heap is too small and Java is spending a HUGE amount
of time doing garbage collection - long enough for idle timeouts to be
exceeded.  The default heap size that Solr uses out of the box is 512MB,
which is very small.

Thanks,
Shawn