lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2018 19:04:20 GMT
On 7/11/2018 12:09 PM, Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems) wrote:
> Hello, we're trying to get SOLR 7.2.1 running on SLES 11 but we hit issues with BASH
3 and the ${distro_string,,} at the beginning of the install_solr_service.sh.  We're just
trying to get this upgraded without tossing out the old DB serves so we can get the content
team happy and move on to redesigning the environment.  We're wondering if anyone else has
hit this, and if they have any lessons learned.

> As we see it, there's a few options:
>
> 1.       Install OpenSUSE BASH 4, maybe in /opt
>
> 2.       Update the lowercase method to something from BASH 3 ( pipe to tr?)
>
> 3.       Do this by hand without the install_solr_service.sh
>
> 4.       Build new Redhat servers, migrate the DB and nuke these things.

Both bash 4 and SLES 11 are more than nine years old.  Upgrades are
definitely recommended.

The option that might be fastest is the second one you've presented --
changing anything in the scripts that requires bash 4 so it's compatible
with bash 3.  If you're comfortable with modifying a shell script in
this way, this is a good option.

The first option is probably a little bit safer -- install bash 4, and
make sure that this is the version used when installing and when
starting Solr.  That could be a PATH adjustment, or changing the shebang
in each script.

There is another issue you're going to need to deal with on SLES.  A fix
for this issue has not been committed to the source repository:

Thanks,
Shawn