lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jens Viebig <jens.vie...@vitec.com>
Subject Impact/Performance of maxDistErr
Date Fri, 25 May 2018 10:59:11 GMT
Hello,

we are indexing a polygon with 4 points (non-rectangular, field-of-view
of a camera) in a RptWithGeometrySpatialField alongside some more
fields, to perform searches that check if a point is within this polygon

We started using the default configuration found in several examples online:

<fieldType name="location_grpt" class="solr.RptWithGeometrySpatialField"
spatialContextFactory="com.spatial4j.core.context.jts.JtsSpatialContextFactory"
            geo="true" distErrPct="0.15" maxDistErr="0.001"
distanceUnits="kilometers" />

We discovered that with this setting the indexing (soft commit) speed is
very slow
For 10000 documents it takes several minutes to finish the commit

If we disable this field, indexing+soft commit is only 3 seconds for
10000 docs,
if we set maxDistErr to 1, indexing speed is at around 5 seconds, so a
huge performance gain against the several minutes we had before

I tried to find out via the documentation whats the impact of
"maxDistErr" on search results but didn't quite find an in-depth explanation
 From our tests we did, the search results still seem to be very
accurate even if the covered space of the polygon is less then 1km and
search speed did not suffer.

So i would love to learn more about the differences on having
maxDistErr="0.001" vs maxDistErr="1" on a RptWithGeometrySpatialField
and what problems could we run into with the bigger value

Thanks
Jens

Fwd: so, nun aber...
***

*

*Jens Viebig***

Software Development

MAM Products

T. +49-(0)4307-8358-0

E. jens.viebig@vitec.com

_http://www.vitec.com_____

__

VITEC_logo_for_email_signature__

--

VITEC GmbH, 24223 Schwentinental

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Philippe Wetzel
HRB Plön 1584 / Steuernummer: 1929705211 / VATnumber: DE134878603