lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Emir Arnautović <emir.arnauto...@sematext.com>
Subject Re: Howto change log level with Solr Admin UI ?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2018 15:18:47 GMT
Hi,
It is not exposed in the admin console (would be nice if it is!), but there is a way to set
threshold for admin UI logs. You can simply execute following:  http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/info/logging?since=0&threshold=INFO
<http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/info/logging?since=0&threshold=INFO> and INFO
logs will start appearing in admin UI.

HTH,
Emir

> On 18 Apr 2018, at 16:30, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
> On 4/18/2018 8:03 AM, Bernd Fehling wrote:
>> I just tried to change the log level with Solr Admin UI but it
>> does not change any logging on my running SolrCloud.
>> It just shows the changes in the Admin UI and the commands in the
>> request log, but no changes in the level of logging.
>>
>> Do I have to RELOAD the collection after changing log level?
>>
>> I tried all setting from ALL, TRACE, DEBUG, ...
>>
>> Also the Reference Guide 6.6 shows the Admin UI as I see it, but
>> the table below the image has levels FINEST, FINE, CONFIG, ...
>> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/configuring-logging.html
>> This is confusing.
>
> What exact setting in the logging tab did you change, and what did you expect to happen
that didn't happen?

> The logging events that show up in the admin UI will never include anything with a severity
lower than WARN.  Anything lower would be far too much information for the admin UI to handle.
 Changing the level shown in the admin UI is likely possible, but probably requires a code
change.  If changed, I think it would result in a UI page that's unusable because it contains
far too many events.

> Assuming that log4j.properties hasn't been altered, you will find lower severity events
in solr.log, a file on disk.  The default logging level that Solr uses is INFO, but INFO logs
never show up in the admin UI.

> Also, changes made to logging levels in the admin UI only last as long as Solr is running.
 When Solr is restarted, those changes are gone.  Only changes made in log4j.properties will
survive a restart.