lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Joe Doupnik <...@netlab1.net>
Subject Re: Loss of "Optimise" button
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2018 16:52:22 GMT
On 21/04/2018 17:25, Doug Turnbull wrote:
> I haven’t tracked this change, but can you still optimize through the API?
>
> Here’s an example using update XML
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6954358/how-to-optimize-solr-index
>
> There are so many cases hitting “optimize” causes a huge segment merge that
> brings down a Solr cluster that I think I agree with the decision to remove
> such an inviting button.
>
> Doug
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM Joe Doupnik <jrd@netlab1.net> wrote:
---------
Doug,
     Thanks for that feedback. Here are my thoughts on the matter.
Removing deleted docs is often an irregular occurrence, such as say when
there is overlapping of incoming material with older input. We don' t
want to optimise often, least often in fact, but when the circumstances
do exist we want to do it expeditiously and wisely. That says a button
which we may use when needed, human judgement is employed, and thus
avoid automation which totally lacks that judgement and which leads to
often unnecessary system peak loads every day or so.
     I don't want to search high and low for just the right curl
command. The capability needs to be an intrinsic part of the management
facility design (say the GUI).
     Clearly documenting the curl approach would be helpful for many sites.
     In my cases, I run my programs typically at night to crawl this &
that, and do not wish to have to tend them daily. The situations of
overlap and thus deleted docs typically occurs when I am rebuilding the
background data sources, and that is when I am working on things and can
tend the overlaps. I do not want unnecessary peak loadings from automation.
     Thus reinstatement of the Optimize button would mean humans could
again invoke it if and only when they thought appropriate. The admin GUI
would be the normal place to perform that, as it was previously. Lacking
that management facility would be a design shortcoming.
     Thanks,
     Joe D.