lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr main replica down, another replica taking over
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2018 05:32:21 GMT
On 3/20/2018 11:18 PM, Midas A wrote:
> I have one question here
> a) solr cloud load balance requests internally (Round robin or anything
> else ).

Yes, SolrCloud does load balance requests across active replicas in the
entire cloud.  I do not know what algorithm it uses for load balancing
-- whether that's round-robin or something else.

> b) How can i change this behaviour (Note. I have solr cloud with mix of
> machines physical and virtual  )

There is some effort underway to allow SolrCloud to prefer specific
replica types.  Recent versions of Solr added TLOG and PULL types, to
supplement the NRT type that all versions of SolrCloud have.  There is
strong interest in being able to prefer one of the new types and let the
NRT replicas handle indexing only when possible.

There is already a "preferLocalShards" parameter ... but enabling this
parameter can actually make performance *worse*, by concentrating
requests onto a single machine and leaving the other machines in the
cloud idle.

Thanks,
Shawn