lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: Solr or Elasticsearch
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2018 13:33:38 GMT
On 22/03/2018 13:13, Steven White wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There are some good write ups on the internet comparing the two and the one
> thing that keeps coming up about Elasticsearch being superior to Solr is
> it's analytic capability.  However, I cannot find what those analytic
> capabilities are and why they cannot be done using Solr.  Can someone help
> me with this question?

Hi Steve,

As you've said there are lots of writeups, some more out-of-date than
others. http://solr-vs-elasticsearch.com/ is quite good on features.

The analytics in ES are based on a number of custom aggregations (which
I always think of as facet-counting-on-steroids, but I realise it's more
complicated than that). Here's an early doc on them
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/_analytics.html
So you need a good grasp of Elasticsearch's DSL to use these. The
integration with Kibana is good if you want to display your results.

Solr's analytic capabilities use a Solr Search Component:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/analytics.html . As with a lot
of Solr features these can appear a lot more complex than
Elasticsearch's offering. Yonik's blog is also worth reading as he often
talks about new and upcoming Solr features like this.
http://yonik.com/solr-facet-functions/

As we've always said, there are few cases where you can't build a
solution using either engine and I believe that's also true for analytics.

> Personally, I'm a Solr user and the thing that concerns me about
> Elasticsearch is the fact that it is owned by a company that can  any day
> decide to stop making Elasticsearch avaialble under Apache license and even
> completely close free access to it.

Yes, but why would they? It would be suicide for a company that have
such an established open source heritage - not least because a lot of
Lucene developers who work for Elastic would object. I'd be a bit more
annoyed about the fact they announced that their commercial XPack
add-ons would be 'open code' and everyone thinks that means 'open
source' - which it clearly isn't.

> So, this is a 2 part question:
>
> 1) What are the analytic capability of Elasticsearch that cannot be done
> using Solr?  I want to see a complete list if possible.
> 2) Should an Elasticsearch user be worried that Elasticsearch may close
> it's open-source policy at anytime or that outsiders have no say about it's
> road map?

That's a slightly different question about road map - but you do have
some say, Elastic's developers have always been very helpful and open to
suggestions from outsiders (who are also users of course!).

Cheers

Charlie

--
Charlie Hull