lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From hal...@xsmail.com
Subject Re: New 7.2.1 install on linux; "permission denied" on exec?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2018 12:01:49 GMT
hi

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018, at 10:35 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Looks fine.  It's a little odd to be changing the install location to
> /opt/solr instead of /opt ... but if that's what you really want, it
> won't cause any issues.

Just testing that it does what I want, where I want.  I always *1st* install into a dedicated
subdir ... have had one too many apps fail to create their own subdir, and 'pollute'!

> > 	chown -R solr:solr /opt/solr
>
> Why are you doing this step?

Because it was complaining about permissions.  1st assumption was ownership ...

>  Those files are *MEANT* to be owned by
> root.  The solr user has no need to write to files in that location.
> (Changing permissions in this way is unlikely to hurt anything, but
> isn't at all necessary)

Noted.

> distribution

I'm on OpenSuse.  So still have to do this

  https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/305/files

1st.

> Try the following as a troubleshooting step.  Either log in as "solr" or

I managed to 'fix' the problem.

rm -f /etc/init.d/solr

and replace it with a systemd unit file,

/etc/systemd/system/solr.service

That seems to do the trick:

ps aux | grep solr
   solr     35445  181  1.6 4047996 267116 ?      Sl   04:57   0:11 java -server -Xms512m
-Xmx51 ...

and all's good.

WHY that works, that's still an open question for me ...