lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Brian Yee <b...@wayfair.com>
Subject RE: DovValues and in-place udpates
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:37:54 GMT
True, I could remove the trigger to rebuild the entire document. But what if a different field
changes and the whole document is triggered for update for a different field. We have the
same problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:17 AM
To: solr-user <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: DovValues and in-place udpates

"But it also triggers a slow update that will rebuild the entire document..."

Why do you think this? The whole _point_ of in-place updates is that they don't have to re-index
the whole document.... And the only way to do that effectively would be if all the fields
are stored, which is not a requirement for in-place updates.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 8:02 AM, Brian Yee <byee@wayfair.com> wrote:
> I asked a question here about fast inventory updates last week and I was recommended
to use docValues with partial in-place updates. I think this will work well, but there is
a problem I can't think of a good solution for.

> Consider this scenario:
> InStock = 1 for a product.
> InStock changes to 0 which triggers a fast in-place update with docValues.
> But it also triggers a slow update that will rebuild the entire document. Let's say that
takes 10 minutes because we do updates in batches.
> During that 5 minutes, InStock changes again to 1 which triggers a fast update to solr.
So in Solr InStock=1 which is correct.