lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: How to form a boolean query such that it wont evaluate the right hand side if it isn't necessary
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2018 21:49:36 GMT
I understand what you are asking for. Solr doesn’t work like that. Solr is not a programming
language Short-circuit evaluation isn’t especially useful for a search engine.

Most of the work is fetching and uncompressing the posting lists. Calculating the score for
each document is pretty fast.

Express your query in the Solr/Lucene query language and time it.

If field1:value1 is required and field2:value2 is optional, your query should be expressed
like this:

+field1:value1 field2:value2

Also, this is beginning to feel like an X-Y problem. What are you trying to achieve with this
evaluation requirement?

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org