lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ere Maijala <ere.maij...@helsinki.fi>
Subject Re: Limit search queries only to pull replicas
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2018 07:21:43 GMT
Interesting indeed, but maybe in line with the idea that ES knows what
to do best without the user interfering.

My example parameter name was bad, it should have been something like
"preferReplicaTypes=TLOG,PULL". I can't see what would be bad about
that, but then to me it seems Solr has always been much more about
giving control to the administrator or developer instead of
automatically just working. This may be daunting in the beginning, but
it seems I always start to look for more control of how things are done
in the long run.

--Ere

Emir Arnautović kirjoitti 5.1.2018 klo 17.51:
> It is interesting that ES had similar feature to prefer primary/replica but it deprecating
that and will remove it - could not find explanation why.

> Emir
> --
> Monitoring - Log Management - Alerting - Anomaly Detection
> Solr & Elasticsearch Consulting Support Training - http://sematext.com/
>

>> On 5 Jan 2018, at 15:22, Ere Maijala <ere.maijala@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It would be really nice to have a server-side option, though. Not everyone uses Solrj,
and a typical fairly dummy client just queries the server without any understanding about
shards etc. Solr could be clever enough to not forward the query to NRT shards when configured
to prefer PULL shards and they're available. Maybe it could be something similar to the preferLocalShards
parameter, like "preferShardTypes=TLOG,PULL".

>> --Ere
>>
>> Emir Arnautović kirjoitti 14.12.2017 klo 11.41:
>>> Hi Stanislav,
>>> I don’t think that there is a built in feature to do this, but that sounds
like nice feature of Solrj - maybe you should check if available. You can implement it outside
of Solrj - check cluster state to see which shards are available and send queries only to
pull replicas.
>>> HTH,
>>> Emir
>>> --
>>> Monitoring - Log Management - Alerting - Anomaly Detection
>>> Solr & Elasticsearch Consulting Support Training - http://sematext.com/

one server (for indexing) each shard has a pull replica on other servers.

each query, but if new shards added later it requires to change solrconfig. Is it the only
way to do this?