lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: SOLR Data Backup
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2018 09:41:26 GMT
On 18/01/2018 09:21, Wael Kader wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Whats the best way to do a backup of the SOLR data.
> I have a single node solr server and I want to always keep a copy of the
> data I have.
>
> Is replication an option for what I want ?
>
> I would like to get some tutorials and papers if possible on the method
> that should be used in case its backup or replication or anything else.

Hi Wael,

Have you considered backing up the source data instead? You can always
re-index to re-create the Solr data.

Replication will certainly allow you to maintain a copy of the Solr
data, either so you can handle more search traffic by load balancing
between the two, or to provide a failover capability in the case of a
server failure. But this isn't a backup in the traditional sense. You
shouldn't consider Solr as your 'source of truth' unless for some reason
it is impossible to re-index.

Perhaps if you could let us know why you think you need a backup we can
suggest the best solution.

Cheers

Charlie

--