lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr Cloud permissions
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2017 19:01:26 GMT
On 12/4/2017 9:54 AM, Steve Pruitt wrote:
> I used the -u option to provide the installer with a user id.  The /var/solr folder has
the user set as the owner.  But, the /opt/solr folder is owned by root.  How did this happen?

When you install the service, Solr has no need to write to the program
directory, which is why /opt/solr is owned by root. This is what I would
expect, and shouldn't be a problem.
> I checked the opt/solr/bin/init.d/solr and verified RUNAS is set to the user I entered.
 When I try to execute service solr start, I get this error
>           env: /etc/init.d/solr: Permission denied
>
> Changing the execute permissions on etc/init.d/solr got me to point of executing start.
 But I get this...

The working init script is in /etc/init.d, not /opt/solr/bin/init.d.
Nothing in the latter file should affect anything.

That error does sound like missing execute permission, great that you
figured it out.  This should have already been set by the service
installer script, though.  If that didn't work, there may be something
wrong on your system.  I have no idea what that might be.

> Host is not communicating for more than 15 seconds.  Still waiting.....

Where are you seeing this?  Wherever it is, we need more of the error
message provided.  Seeing the full solr.log might be necessary.

Thanks,
Shawn