lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade path from 5.4.1
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:36:25 GMT
I _always_ prefer to reindex if possible. Additionally, as of Solr 7
all the numeric types are deprecated in favor of points-based types
which are faster on all fronts and use less memory. However, to use
this functionality you'll need to re-index anyway.

Solr 7 will still support Trie types, but support for those is not
guaranteed after that, so it's a chance to get ahead of the curve.

I _strongly_ recommend that you start with the default configs in 7x
and apply any changes made (fields, fieldtypes, requesthandlers
whatever) to the 7x rather than copy the old configs. Of course that's
not really a problem if you can't find the configs in the first
place....

You can download your configs from ZooKeeper so at least they aren't
permanently lost....

new (6x+) Solr's let you move things back and forth pretty easily, try
`bin/solr zk -help'

Best,
Erick

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Petersen, Robert (Contr)
<robert.petersen1@ftr.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> I just took over the care and feeding of three poor neglected solr 5.4.1 cloud clusters
at my new position. While spinning up new collections and supporting other business initiatives
I am pushing management to give me the green light on migrating to a newer version of solr.
The last solr I worked with was 6.6.1 and I was thinking of doing an upgrade to that (er actually
6.6.2) as I was reading an existing index only upgrades one major version number at a time.

> Then I realized the existing 5.4.1 cloud clusters here were set up with unmanaged configs,
so now I'm starting to lean toward just spinning up clean new 6.6.2 or 7.1 clouds on new machines
leaving the existing 5.4.1 machines in place then reindexing everything on to the new machines
with the intention of testing and then swapping in the new machines and finally destroying
the old ones when the dust settles (they're all virtuals so NP just destroying the old instances
and recovering their resources).

of the terms set out at http://www.frontier.com/email_disclaimer.