lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: A problem of tracking the commits of Lucene using SHA num
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2017 13:47:51 GMT
On 11/16/2017 5:28 PM, TOM wrote:
>       Recently, I acquired a batch of commits’ SHA data of Lucene, of which the time
span is from 2010 to 2015. In order to get original info, I tried to use these SHA data to
track commits.

<snip>

> In summary, 1) did the method to generate SHA num of commit change once before? 2) because
the second mirror repository ended its update since 2014, how can I track the whole commits
of my dataset?

When you asked this same question on November 9th (and even earlier on 
the dev list), I replied with this information, and what I told you was 
confirmed by Chris Hostetter.

Yes, all of the SHA data in the github repository *has* changed.  This 
event happened in early to mid January 2016.

At that time, the Lucene/Solr project migrated the source repository 
from subversion to git.  Before this, the github mirror was (as stated 
by Chris), an automated realtime git->svn conversion set up by Apache 
Infra.  It was actually the github mirror that forced our hand to 
complete our own repository migration -- that realtime svn->git 
conversion was requiring so many resources that it was crashing the 
conversion process for other projects.  Infra was going to turn the 
conversion of our repository off, and we would no longer *have* an 
up-to-date github mirror.  As a project, we had been discussing the 
conversion already, but it was that problem that pushed people into action.

The official conversion of the repository from svn to git produced a 
repository with entirely different commit SHA values than the old github 
mirror, and we couldn't use it to maintain that mirror.  The github 
mirror that matched your commit data was completely deleted, and then 
rebuilt as a true mirror of the official git repository.

The commit data you're using is nearly useless, because the repository 
where it originated has been gone for nearly two years.  If you can find 
out how it was generated, you can build a new version from the current 
repository -- either on github or from Apache's official servers.

Thanks,
Shawn

Mime
View raw message