lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: SOLR-11504: Provide a config to restrict number of indexing threads
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 14:11:56 GMT
On 10/31/2017 4:57 PM, Nawab Zada Asad Iqbal wrote:
> I hit this issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11504 while
> migrating to solr6 and locally working around it in Lucene code. I am
> thinking to fix it properly and hopefully patch back to Solr. Since, Lucene
> code does not want to keep any such config, I am thinking to use a counting
> semaphore in Solr code before calling IndexWriter.addDocument(s) or
> IndexWriter.updateDocument(s).

There's a fairly simple way to control the number of indexing threads
that doesn't require ANY changes to Solr:  Don't start as many
threads/processes on your indexing client(s).  If you control the number
of simultaneous requests sent to Solr, then Solr won't start as many
indexing threads.  That kind of control over your indexing system is
something that's always preferable to have.

Thanks,
Shawn