lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FieldValueCache in solr 6.6
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2017 16:50:54 GMT
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 12:45 PM, sile <siki_2014@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hi Yonik,
>
> Thanks for your answer :).
>
> It works.
>
> Another question:
>
> What is recommended to be used in solr 6.6 for faceting (docValues or
> UnInvertedField), because UnInvertedField performs better for subsequent
> requests?
>
> I assume that docValues is more beneficial in terms of heap memory use, but
> should I use fieldValueCache instead if hit ratio is good?

docValues is a safer default.  UIF needs to rebuild every time the
index is changed (and is also one reason why it's faster once it is
built).
If one uses real docValues (at index time), then there will even be
less heap memory.
A note to those trying out UIF: method=uif is an execution hint only
and will be ignored if you've indexed docValues.  We should probably
add some way of forcing it at some point.

-Yonik