lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Vincenzo D'Amore" <v.dam...@gmail.com>
Subject E-Commerce Search: tf-idf, tie-break and boolean model
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2017 08:30:22 GMT
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to tune Solr for an e-commerce search.

I want to share with you what I did in the hope to understand if I was
right and, if there, I could also improve my configuration.

I also read that the boolean model has to be preferred in this case.

https://nlp.stanford.edu/IR-book/html/htmledition/the-extended-boolean-model-versus-ranked-retrieval-1.html

So, I first wrote my own implementation of DefaultSimilarity returning
constantly 1.0 for TF and IDF.

Now I'm struggling to understand how to configure tie-break parameter, my
opinion was to configure it to 0.1 or 0.0, thats because, if I understood
well, in this way the boolean model should be preferred, that's because
only the maximum scoring subquery contributes to final score.

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/the-dismax-query-parser.html#TheDisMaxQueryParser-Thetie_TieBreaker_Parameter

Not sure if this could be enough or if you need more information, thanks in
advance for anyone would add a bit in this discussion.

Best regards,
Vincenzo

--
Vincenzo D'Amore