lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr cloud planning
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 22:47:46 GMT
On 10/3/2017 3:18 PM, gatanathoa wrote:
> I am trying to find what setup will give us the fastest searching. But I have
> not been able to find out this information with my internet searching.
>
> I have the possibility to have up to 16 identical servers for the index,
> what setup will get me the fastest searching?
> e.g. 8 shards, 8 replicas, and 15 zookeepers.
> 4 shards, 8 replicas, and 5 zookeepers.
> Or any other combination up to the 16 servers.

This question is impossible to answer with the information provided.
The query rate will have a huge impact on the answer. The types of
queries will matter.  The size of the index, both in document count and
physical size on disk, will matter.  Full-scale testing is often the
only way to be sure.  You can test at a smaller scale, but that may
behave very differently than the full-size index handling a full
production load.

Generally speaking, adding shards will only help performance if your
query rate is very low, because the subqueries to each shard can take
advantage of a lot of idle CPU resources in that situation.  The more
queries you have to support per second, the fewer shards you're going to
want, and that might mean going all the way down to one shard.  If the
rows and/or start parameters on the requests are very large, you
probably don't want more than one shard.

Thanks,
Shawn