lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Dave <hastings.recurs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MongoDb vs Solr
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2017 11:43:35 GMT
Solr=search engine
Mongodb=schemaless database

> On Aug 5, 2017, at 12:26 AM, Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>
> MarkLogic can do many-to-many. I worked there six years ago. They use search engine index
structure with generational updates, including segment level caches. With locking. Pretty
good stuff.

> A many to many relationship is an intersection across posting lists, with transactions.
Straightforward, but not easy to do it fast.

> The “Inside MarkLogic Server” paper does a good job of explaining the guts.
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled Solr presentations.
>
> wunder
> Walter Underwood
> wunder@wunderwood.org
>

>> On Aug 4, 2017, at 8:13 PM, David Hastings <DHastings@wshein.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also, id love to see an example of a many to many relationship in a nosql db as you
described, since that's a rdbms concept. If it exists in a nosql environment I would like
to learn how...

>>> On Aug 4, 2017, at 10:56 PM, Dave <hastings.recursive@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Uhm. Dude are you drinking?
>>>
>>> 1. Lucidworks would never say that.
>>> 2. Maria is not a json +MySQL. Maria is a fork of the last open source version
of MySQL before oracle bought them
>>> 3.walter is 100% correct. Solr is search. The only complex data structure it
has is an array. Something like mongo can do arrays hashes arrays of hashes etc, it's actually
json based. But it can't search well as a search engine can.