lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen <t...@kb.dk>
Subject Re: How many collections in a solrcloud are too many, how to determine this?
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2017 09:31:29 GMT
On Tue, 2017-08-08 at 13:35 -0500, Webster Homer wrote:
> We have a Solrcloud environments that have 4 solr nodes and a 3 node
> Zookeeper ensemble. All of the collections are configured to have 2
> shards with 2 replicas.

Quick sanity check: Why 2 shards/collection?

There is a non-trivial overhead going from 1 to more than 1 shard. If
your collections are not too large, chances are that you will lower
your hardware requirements (and/or improve response times) by using
only 1 shard/collection.

- Toke Eskildsen, Royal Danish Library