lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [EXTERNAL] - Re: compiling Solr
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2017 17:25:24 GMT
Steve:

Glad to hear it. BTW, I usually just attach to the server remotely
from my IDE rather than try to get Solr to run inside IntelliJ, I know
others run it all in the IDE though. You have to create a "remote"
configuration to run, then start Solr specially (pardon me if you know
all this) like:

bin/solr start  -p 8981 -s example/techproducts/solr -a
"-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=6900"

The "suspend -y" causes Solr to just sit there until you connect and
hit go, useful for debugging loading issues.

But I wouldn't necessarily even bother attaching to a remote session.
It's often far more directed to pick one of the junit tests (or create
one of your own) and debug through _that_ with no Solr running at all.
Plus if you're making changes it's faster to change code and re-run
the test than create a runnable Solr with the changes to debug. Of
course there are reasons you'd want to attach to a remote session, but
for diving into a particular bit of code the junit method is often
what I prefer.

FWIW,
Erick

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Steve Pruitt <bpruitt@opentext.com> wrote:
> My mistake.  I guess I thought compiling and creating the dist still created a war for
the client.  The build was successful and of course the webapp folder was created.  Again,
my error.

> I am only building Solr because I want to learn more through direct observation how things
work.  Hard to glean much from the JavaDocs.

> My immediate concern is debugging (from IntelliJ)  two custom search components I am
working on.

> Thanks.
>
> -S

with the 6.6 source.  The only thing I did different was download the src directly.  I did
not use Subversion.
>> I made through step 7 - Compile application with no problems.  However, the dist
folder contains newly build snapshot jars, but no war file.

> As noted by Daniel on your other reply, that page is very out of date.
> This is more current:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.apache.org_solr_HowToContribute&d=DwICaQ&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=ksx9qnQFG3QvxkP54EBPEzv1HHDjlk-MFO-7EONGCtY&m=L4vyJ1M3fKfl6vI6BIjWsg2z9KsxHuYzSaZXy4L-T2c&s=mFpiIPugnxZvDFFlBAUNAU_a9GUhcDCRHJ1AZtj7BM8&e=
>
> There has been no war file in the dist directory since version 5.0.0, and there has been
no war file produced *at all* since version 5.3.0.

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.apache.org_solr_WhyNoWar&d=DwICaQ&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=ksx9qnQFG3QvxkP54EBPEzv1HHDjlk-MFO-7EONGCtY&m=L4vyJ1M3fKfl6vI6BIjWsg2z9KsxHuYzSaZXy4L-T2c&s=O_5sS0kbtcPtQ2oTsB0H6K0Bp0K9lq4v0BBIJgX6YxY&e=
>
> If you run "ant server", then you will get a runnable server.  Once that's done, type
"bin/solr start" or "bin\solr start" to start Solr, depending on the operating system.

> I agree with Daniel on another point:  If you aren't intending to immediately jump into
editing the source code, then you should download the binary distribution, which is ready
to run right away.

> You can also run "ant package" to create your own local copy of the binary distribution
with a SNAPSHOT version number.