lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Knaus <Kn...@mpdl.mpg.de>
Subject Sharding vs single index vs separate collection
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2017 21:45:31 GMT
Hi,
I have a solr cloud setup, with document routing (implicit routing with router field). As
the index is about documents with a publication date, I routed according the publication year,
as in my case, most of the search queries will have a year specified.

Now, what would be the best strategy -as regards performance (i.e. a huge amount of queries
to be processed)- for search queries without any year specified?

1 - Is it enough to define that these queries should go over all routes (i.e. route=year1,
year2, ..., yearN)?

2 - Would it be better to add a separate node with a separate index that is not routed (but
maybe sharded/splitted)? If so, how should I deal with such a separate index? Is it possible
to add it to my existing Solr cloud? Would it go into a separate collection?

Thanks for your advice.

Johannes