lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From David Lee <nightwrite...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Reload an unloaded core
Date Wed, 03 May 2017 00:09:04 GMT
I have similar needs but for a slightly different use-case.

In my case, I am breaking up cores / indexes based on the month and year
so that I can add an alias that always points to the last few months,
but beyond that I want to simply unload the other indexes once they get
past a few months old. The indexes will remain on disk but I simply
don't want my queries to have to go through the older "archived" documents.

However, users will occasionally need to have those indexes reloaded for
research reasons so what I was doing in ES was simply re-loading all of
the indexes that fit within the range being searched for and added those
to an alias (let's call it "archived", for example). Once they are
finished querying on that older data, I again unload those indexes and
remove the alias.

 From what I'm reading in this thread, this isn't quite as
straight-forward in Solr so I'm looking for other options.

Thanks,
David

On 5/2/2017 5:04 PM, Shashank Pedamallu wrote:
> Thank you Simon, Erick and Shawn for your replies. Unfortunately, restarting Solr is
not a option for me. So, I’ll try to follow the steps given by Shawn to see where I’m
standing. Btw, I’m using Solr 6.4.2.

> Shawn, once again thank you very much for the detailed reply.
>
> Thanks,
> Shashank Pedamallu
>

> On 5/2/17, 2:51 PM, "Shawn Heisey" <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
>> On 5/2/2017 10:53 AM, Shashank Pedamallu wrote:
>>> I want to unload a core from Solr without deleting data-dir or instance-dir.
I’m performing some operations on the data-dir after this and then I would like to reload
the core from the same data-dir. These are the things I tried:

>>>    1.  Reload api – throws an exception saying no such core exists.
>>>    2.  Create api – throws an exception saying a core with given name already
exists.

>>> Can someone point me what api I could use to achieve this. Please note that,
I’m working with Solr in Non-Cloud mode without Zookeeper, Collections, etc.

---