lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryError and Too many open files
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 18:29:57 GMT
On 5/8/2017 11:40 AM, Satya Marivada wrote:
> Started getting below errors/exceptions. I have listed the resolution
> inline. Could you please see if I am headed right?
>
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
<snip>
> java.io.IOException: Too many open files

I have never had any luck setting these limits with the ulimit command.
On Linux, I have adjusted these in the /etc/security/limits.conf config
file.  This is what I added to the file:

solr            hard    nproc   61440
solr            soft    nproc   40960

solr            hard    nofile  65535
solr            soft    nofile  49151

A reboot shouldn't be needed to get the change to take effect, though
you may need to log out and back in again before attempting to restart
Solr.  A reboot would be the guaranteed option.

For an OS other than Linux, the method for changing these limits is
probably going to be different.

Thanks,
Shawn