lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Wartes <jwar...@whitepages.com>
Subject Re: Solr performance on EC2 linux
Date Tue, 02 May 2017 04:18:55 GMT
I started with the same three-node 15-shard configuration I’d been used to, in an RF1 cluster.
(the index is almost 700G so this takes three r4.8xlarge’s if I want to be entirely memory-resident)
I eventually dropped down to a 1/3rd size index on a single node (so 5 shards, 100M docs each)
so I could test configurations more quickly. The system time usage was present on all solr
nodes regardless. I adjusted for a difference in the CPU count on the EC2 nodes when I picked
my load testing rates.

Zookeeper is a separate cluster on separate nodes. It is NOT collocated with Solr, although
it’s dedicated exclusively to Solr’s use.

I specify a timeout on all queries, and as mentioned, use SOLR-4449. So there’s possibly
an argument I’m doing a lot more timing related calls than most. There’s nothing particularly
exotic there though, just another Executor Service, and you’ll never get a backup request
on an RF1 cluster because there’s no alternate to try.