lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: group.facet possibly causing solr to (quickly) stop responding
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2017 18:17:23 GMT
The "Unable to write response, client closed connection or we are
shutting down" bits mean you're timing out. Or maybe something much
more serious. You can up the timeouts, but that's not particularly
useful since the response is so long anyway.

Before jumping to conclusions, I'd _really_ recommend you figure out
the root cause. First set up jmeter or the like so you can create a
stress test and reproduce this at will on a test machine.

Things I'd check:

> At what point do things get slow? 10 QPS? 100 QPS, 1,000 QPS? Let's get a benchmark here
for a reality check. If you're throwing 1,000 QPS at a single Solr instance that's simply
unrealistic. 100 QPS/node is on the high side of what I'd expect.

> how many docs do you have on a node?

> look at your Solr logs for any anomalies, particularly OOM errors.

> turn on GC logs and see if you're spending an inordinate amount of time in GC. Note you
can get a clue if this is the issue by just increasing the JVM heap as a quick test. Not conclusive,
but if you give the app another 4G and your timings change radically, problem identified.

> That JIRA you pointed to is unlikely to be the real issue since your performance is OK
to start. It's still possible, but..

> attach a profiler to see where the time is being spent. Must be on a test machine since
profilers are generally intrusive.

> Grab a couple of stack traces and see if that sheds a clue.

I really have to emphasize, though, that until you do a Root Cause
Analysis, you're just guessing. Going to 6.4 an using JSON facets is a
shot in the dark.

Best,
Erick