lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the bottleneck for an optimise operation?
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 15:13:35 GMT
Optimize operation is no longer recommended for Solr, as the
background merges got a lot smarter.

It is an extremely expensive operation that can require up to 3-times
amount of disk during the processing.

This is not to say yours is a valid question, which I am leaving to
others to respond.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and experienced

On 2 March 2017 at 10:04, Caruana, Matthew <mcaruana@icij.org> wrote:
> I’m currently performing an optimise operation on a ~190GB index with about 4 million
documents. The process has been running for hours.

> This is surprising, because the machine is an EC2 r4.xlarge with four cores and 30GB
of RAM, 24GB of which is allocated to the JVM.