lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Scott Smith <ssm...@mainstreamdata.com>
Subject RE: Facet? Search problem
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:25:30 GMT
Grouping appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.  I added "group=true&group.field=category"
to my search and It appears that I get a list of groups, one document in each group that matches
the search along with (bonus) the number of documents in the category that match that search.
Perfect.  Thank you very much.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave [mailto:hastings.recursive@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 7:59 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Facet? Search problem

Perhaps look into grouping on that field.

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 9:08 PM, Scott Smith <ssmith@mainstreamdata.com> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to solve a search problem and wondering if facets (or something else) might
solve the problem.

> Let's assume I have a bunch of documents (100 million+).  Each document has a category
(keyword) assigned to it.  A single document my only have one category, but there may be multiple
documents with the same category (1 to a few hundred documents may be in any one category).
 There are several million categories.

> Supposed I'm doing a search with a page size of 50.  What I want to do is do a search
(e.g., "dog") and get back the top 50 documents that match the contain the word "dog" and
are all in different categories.  So, there needs to be one document from 50 different categories.

> If that's not possible, then is it possible to do it if I know the 50 categories up-front
and hand that off as part of the search (so "find 50 documents that match the term 'dog' and
there is one document from each of 50 specified categories").

> Is there a way to do this?
>
> I'm not extremely knowledgeable about facets, but thought that might be a solution.
But, it doesn't have to be facets.