lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: About editing managed-schema by hand
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:16:44 GMT
On 3/20/2017 9:22 AM, Issei Nishigata wrote:
> Is my understanding correct that managed-schema is not limited that it
> can be modified only via Schema API, but that we usually modify it via
> Schema API, and we also can modify what Schema API can't do by
> hand-editing? Needless to say, I understand that there is an
> assumption that we do not use Schema API and hand-editing at the same
> time.

Hand-editing is perfectly acceptable if it is done right.  The reason
that editing is discouraged is because mixing it with API usage can
result in hand edits getting lost.

The online Schema API reference now includes a note about why
hand-editing is discouraged.  The managed-schema comment could include a
link to that.

Thanks,
Shawn