lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SOLRCloud on 6.4 on Ubuntu
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:43:59 GMT
Getting configs up (and down) from solr is done either with zkCli or
bin/solr. Personally I find the latter easier if only because it's in
a single place. Try
bin/solr zk -help
and you'll see a bunch of options. Once you do upload the config, you
must reload the collection for it to "take".

Best,
Erick

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch
<arafalov@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know which of these you read, so it is a bit of a grab bag.
> And I haven't reviewed some of them in depth. But hopefully, there is
> a nugget of gold somewhere in there for you:
>
> https://github.com/LucidWorks/solr-scale-tk
> https://www.slideshare.net/thelabdude/apache-con-managingsolrcloudinthecloud
> https://systemsarchitect.net/2013/04/06/painless-guide-to-solr-cloud-configuration/
> https://github.com/bloomreach/solrcloud-haft
> http://www.francelabs.com/blog/tutorial-solrcloud-5-amazon-ec2/ (oldish)
> https://github.com/freedev/solrcloud-zookeeper-docker
> https://sematext.com/blog/2016/12/13/solr-master-slave-solrcloud-migration/
> http://dlightdaily.com/2016/11/30/solr-cloud-installation-zookeeper/
> https://sbdevel.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/70tb-16b-docs-4-machines-1-solrcloud/
> (just to drool, but it may also be useful)
>
> Hope it helps,
>    Alex.
> ----
> http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and experienced
>

> On 23 February 2017 at 16:12, Pouliot, Scott
> <Scott.Pouliot@peoplefluent.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to find a good beginner level guide to setting up SolrCloud NOT using
the example configs that are provided with SOLR.

>> Here are my goals (and the steps I have done so far!):
>>

>> 1.       Use an external Zookeeper server
>>
>> a.       wget http://apache.claz.org/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.3.6/zookeeper-3.3.6.tar.gz
>>
>> b.       uncompress into /apps folder (Our company uses this type of standard folder,
so I'm following suit here)

>> c.       Copy zoo_sample.cfg to zoo.cfg
>>
>> d.       Update data folder to: /apps/zookeeperData
>>
>> e.       Bin/zkServer.sh start
>>
>> 2.       Install SOLR on both nodes
>>
>> a.       wget http://www.us.apache.org/dist/lucene/solr/6.4.1/solr-6.4.1.tgz
>>
>> b.       tar xzf solr-6.4.1.tgz solr-6.4.1/bin/install_solr_service.sh --strip-components=2
>>
>> c.       ./install_solr_service.sh solr-6.4.1.tgz
>>
>> d.       Update solr.in.sh to include the ZKHome variable set to my ZK server's ip
on port 2181

>> Now it seems if I start SOLR manually with bin/solr start -c -p 8080 -z <ZK IP>:2181
then it will actually load, but if I let it auto start, I get an HTTP 500 error on the Admin
UI for SOLR.

>> I also can't seem to figure out what I need to upload into Zookeeper as far as configuration
files go.  I created a test collection on the instance when I got it up one time...but it
has yet to start properly again for me.

>> Are there any GOOD tutorials out there?  I have read most of the documentation I
can get my hands on thus far from Apache, and blogs and such, but the light bulb still has
not lit up for me yet and I feel like a n00b  ;-)

>> My company is currently running SOLR in the old master/slave config and I'm trying
to setup a SOLRCloud so that we can toy with it in a Dev/QA Environment and see what it's
capable of.  We're currently running 4 separate master/slave SOLR server pairs in production
to spread out the load a bit, but I'd rather see us migrate towards a cluster/cloud scenario
to gain some computing power here!