lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Pouliot, Scott" <Scott.Poul...@peoplefluent.com>
Subject RE: SOLRCloud on 6.4 on Ubuntu
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:05:12 GMT
Thanks Alex.  I'll thumb through them for sure....  Most were good when I read them, but seemed
like a few steps they skipped out on adding the details needed to make it completely painless
 ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Rafalovitch [mailto:arafalov@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:52 PM
To: solr-user <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: SOLRCloud on 6.4 on Ubuntu

I don't know which of these you read, so it is a bit of a grab bag.
And I haven't reviewed some of them in depth. But hopefully, there is a nugget of gold somewhere
in there for you:

https://github.com/LucidWorks/solr-scale-tk
https://www.slideshare.net/thelabdude/apache-con-managingsolrcloudinthecloud
https://systemsarchitect.net/2013/04/06/painless-guide-to-solr-cloud-configuration/
https://github.com/bloomreach/solrcloud-haft
http://www.francelabs.com/blog/tutorial-solrcloud-5-amazon-ec2/ (oldish) https://github.com/freedev/solrcloud-zookeeper-docker
https://sematext.com/blog/2016/12/13/solr-master-slave-solrcloud-migration/
http://dlightdaily.com/2016/11/30/solr-cloud-installation-zookeeper/
https://sbdevel.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/70tb-16b-docs-4-machines-1-solrcloud/
(just to drool, but it may also be useful)

Hope it helps,
   Alex.
----
http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and experienced

On 23 February 2017 at 16:12, Pouliot, Scott <Scott.Pouliot@peoplefluent.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to find a good beginner level guide to setting up SolrCloud NOT using the
example configs that are provided with SOLR.

> Here are my goals (and the steps I have done so far!):
>

> 1.       Use an external Zookeeper server
>
> a.       wget http://apache.claz.org/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.3.6/zookeeper-3.3.6.tar.gz
>
> b.       uncompress into /apps folder (Our company uses this type of standard folder,
so I'm following suit here)

> c.       Copy zoo_sample.cfg to zoo.cfg
>
> d.       Update data folder to: /apps/zookeeperData
>
> e.       Bin/zkServer.sh start
>
> 2.       Install SOLR on both nodes
>
> a.       wget http://www.us.apache.org/dist/lucene/solr/6.4.1/solr-6.4.1.tgz
>
> b.       tar xzf solr-6.4.1.tgz solr-6.4.1/bin/install_solr_service.sh --strip-components=2
>
> c.       ./install_solr_service.sh solr-6.4.1.tgz
>
> d.       Update solr.in.sh to include the ZKHome variable set to my ZK server's ip on
port 2181

> Now it seems if I start SOLR manually with bin/solr start -c -p 8080 -z <ZK IP>:2181
then it will actually load, but if I let it auto start, I get an HTTP 500 error on the Admin
UI for SOLR.

> I also can't seem to figure out what I need to upload into Zookeeper as far as configuration
files go.  I created a test collection on the instance when I got it up one time...but it
has yet to start properly again for me.

> Are there any GOOD tutorials out there?  I have read most of the
> documentation I can get my hands on thus far from Apache, and blogs
> and such, but the light bulb still has not lit up for me yet and I
> feel like a n00b  ;-)
>
> My company is currently running SOLR in the old master/slave config and I'm trying to
setup a SOLRCloud so that we can toy with it in a Dev/QA Environment and see what it's capable
of.  We're currently running 4 separate master/slave SOLR server pairs in production to spread
out the load a bit, but I'd rather see us migrate towards a cluster/cloud scenario to gain
some computing power here!