lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Dorian Hoxha <dorian.ho...@gmail.com>
Subject Max vertical scaling in your experience ? (1 instance/server)
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:31:34 GMT
Hello searchers,

I'm researching solr for a project that would require a max-inserts(10M/s)
and some heavy facet+fq on top of that, though on low qps.

And I'm trying to find blogs/slides where people have used some big
machines instead of hundreds of small ones.

1. Largest I've found is this
<https://sbdevel.wordpress.com/2016/11/30/70tb-16b-docs-4-machines-1-solrcloud/>
with 16cores + 384GB ram but they were using 25! solr4 instances / server
which seems wasteful to me ?

I know that 1 solr can have max ~29-30GB heap because GC is wasteful/sucks
after that, and you should leave the other amount to the os for file-cache.
2. But do you think 1 instance will be able to fully-use a 256GB/20core
machine ?

3. Like to share your findings/links with big-machine clusters ?

Thank You