lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Prateek Jain J <prateek.j.j...@ericsson.com>
Subject RE: SOLR vs mongdb
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2016 11:11:08 GMT

Hi Walter,

With the solr support to sharding, is the storage capability still in question? Or we are
only talking about features like transaction logs, which can be used to re-build database.

Regards,
Prateek Jain

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Underwood [mailto:wunder@wunderwood.org]
Sent: 24 November 2016 05:14 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: SOLR vs mongdb

Sure. Someone sends an HTTP request that deletes all the content. I’m glad to share the
curl request.

Or you can put content in with fields that are indexed but not stored. Then the content is
“gone” as soon as you send it to Solr.

Or you change the schema and need to reindex, but don’t have copies of the original content.

Or there there is some disk problem and some docs are not in the backup because the backups
aren’t transactional.

I’m sure there are other situations.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Kris Musshorn <musshorns@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Will someone please give me a detailed scenario where solr content could "disappear"?

> Disappear means what exactly?
>
> TIA,
> Kris

that is serious non-muggle technology.

> wunder
> Walter Underwood
> wunder@wunderwood.org
>

>> On Nov 23, 2016, at 4:43 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafalov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, you need to be ok that your content will disappear when you
>> use MongoDB as well.... :-(
>>
>> But I understand what you were trying to say.
>> ----
>> http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and
>> experienced
>>

>> On 24 November 2016 at 11:34, Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>>> The choice is simple. Are you OK if all your content disappears and you need
to reload?
>>> If so, use Solr. If not, you need some kind of repository. It can be files in
Amazon S3.
>>> But Solr is not designed to preserve your data.
>>>
>>> wunder
>>> Walter Underwood
>>> wunder@wunderwood.org
>>> http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)

why and where should we prefer mongodb. Web search didn’t helped me on this.

like faceting, highlighting etc but it is a document store where for each text it does create
an Inverted index and map that to documents.  Mongodb is also document store but I think it
adds basic search capability.  This is my understanding. We are using mongo for temporary
storage and I think it is good for that where you want to store a key value document in a
collection without any static schema. In Solr you need to define your schema. In solr you
can define dynamic fields too. This is all my understanding.