lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Prateek Jain J <prateek.j.j...@ericsson.com>
Subject RE: SOLR vs mongdb
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2016 10:33:26 GMT

I have used Marklogic for around 6 months but its majorly used for custom ontologies and had
serious issues once you start asking for more search results (other than default) in one go.

Regards,
Prateek Jain

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Underwood [mailto:wunder@wunderwood.org]
Sent: 24 November 2016 12:47 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: SOLR vs mongdb

Well, I didn’t actually recommend MongoDB as a repository. :-)

If you want transactions and search, buy MarkLogic. I worked there for two years, and that
is serious non-muggle technology.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 4:43 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafalov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Actually, you need to be ok that your content will disappear when you
> use MongoDB as well.... :-(
>
> But I understand what you were trying to say.
> ----
> http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and
> experienced
>

> On 24 November 2016 at 11:34, Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>> The choice is simple. Are you OK if all your content disappears and you need to reload?
>> If so, use Solr. If not, you need some kind of repository. It can be files in Amazon
S3.
>> But Solr is not designed to preserve your data.
>>
>> wunder
>> Walter Underwood
>> wunder@wunderwood.org
>> http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)
>>

>>> On Nov 23, 2016, at 4:12 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafalov@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Solr supports automatic detection of content types for new fields.
>>> That was - unfortunately - named as schemaless mode. It still is
>>> typed under the covers and has limitations. Such as needing all
>>> automatically created fields to be multivalued (by the default
>>> schemaless definition).
>>>
>>> MongoDB is better about actually storing content, especially nested
>>> content. Solr can store content, but that's not what it is about.
>>> You can totally turn off all the stored flags in Solr and return
>>> just document ids, while storing the content in MongoDB.
>>>
>>> You can search in Mongo and you can store content in Solr, so for
>>> simple use cases you can use either one to serve both cause. But you
>>> can also pound nails with a brick and make holes with a hammer.
>>>
>>> Oh, and do not read this as me endorsing MongoDB. I would probably
>>> look at Postgress with JSON columns instead, as it is more reliable
>>> and feature rich.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>  Alex.
>>> ----
>>> http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and
>>> experienced

and where should we prefer mongodb. Web search didn’t helped me on this.

like faceting, highlighting etc but it is a document store where for each text it does create
an Inverted index and map that to documents.  Mongodb is also document store but I think it
adds basic search capability.  This is my understanding. We are using mongo for temporary
storage and I think it is good for that where you want to store a key value document in a
collection without any static schema. In Solr you need to define your schema. In solr you
can define dynamic fields too. This is all my understanding.

SOLR?