lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to stop long running/memory eating query
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2016 16:08:31 GMT
That query frankly doesn't seem like it'd lead to OOM or run for a
very long time unless there are (at least) hundreds of terms and a
_lot_ of documents. Or you're trying to return a zillion rows. Or
you're faceting on a high cardinality field. Or....

The terms should be being kept in MMapDirectory space.

My guess is that you aren't showing the part that's really causing the
problem, perhaps try peeling parts of the query off until you find the
culprit?

And if you're sorting, faceting or the like docValues will help
prevent OOM problems.

Best,
Erick

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]
<daniel.davis@nih.gov> wrote:
> Mikhail,
>
> If the query is not asynchronous, it would certainly be OK to stop the long-running query
if the client socket is disconnected.   I know that is a feature of the niche indexer used
in the products of www.indexengines.com, because I wrote it.   We did not have asynchronous
queries, and because of the content and query-time deduplication, some queries could take
hours -that's 72 billion objects on a 2U box for you.   Hope they've added better index-time
deduplication by now.