lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: Break up a supplier's documents (products) from dominating search result.
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 02:04:16 GMT
We used something like field collapsing, but it wasn’t with Solr or Lucene.
They had not been invented at the time. This was a feature of the Ultraseek
engine from Infoseek, probably in 1997 or 1998.

With field collapsing, you provide a link to show more results from that source.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Derek Poh <dpoh@globalsources.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Walter
>
> You used field collapsing for your case as well?
>
> For my case the search result page is listing of products. There is a option to select
the number of products to display per page.
> Let's say 40 products per page is selected. A search result has 100 matching products
but these products belong to only 20 suppliers. The page will only display 20 products (1
product per supplier).
> We still need to fill up the remaining 20 empty products.
> How can I handle this scenario?
>
> On 11/29/2016 8:26 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:
>> We had a similar feature in the Ultraseek search engine. One of our customers
>> was a magazine publisher, and they wanted the best hit from each magazine
>> on the first page.
>>
>> I expect that field collapsing would work for this.
>>
>> wunder
>> Walter Underwood
>> wunder@wunderwood.org
>> http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)
>>

>>> On Nov 28, 2016, at 4:19 PM, Derek Poh <dpoh@globalsources.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>>> Hope I understand what you meant by positive business requirements.
>>> With a few supplier's products dominating the first page of a search result,
the sales will not be able to convince prospectiveor existing clients to sign up.
>>> They would like the results tofeature other supplier's products as well.
>>> To the extreme case, they were thinking of displaying the results tobe in such
order
>>> Supplier A product
>>> Supplier B product
>>> Supplier C product
>>> Supplier A product
>>> Supplier B product
>>> Supplier C product
>>>
>>> Theyare alright with implementing this logic tothe first page only andsubsequent
pages will be as per current logic if it is not possible to implement it to the entire search
result.