lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using nested subdocuments in SOLR
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2016 14:11:36 GMT
1> I'd add a field "type" (or something) that had some way to
distinguish the two records. Consider "product" and "company" for the
two field values. As Alexandre said, internally these are _separate_
records.

2> Each record needs a unique ID (<uniqueKey> in your schema). If you
don't, subsequent records will replace previous ones.

You asked about nested documents and that's what Alexandre gave you,
but have you consider denormalizing the data? That is, store the
company info with each separate product? If possible that's usually
preferred.

Here are some references:
http://yonik.com/solr-nested-objects/
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Uploading+Data+with+Index+Handlers#UploadingDatawithIndexHandlers-NestedChildDocuments

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:05 AM, Preeti Bhat <preeti.bhat@shoregrp.com> wrote:
> HI Alexandre,
>
> I have below questions.
> 1) need to tag your parent/child documents with document type-> What do we mean by
this? Should this be done in the schema.xml /managed-schema.
> 2) When we say individual id's what do we mean? I am asking this because, I might have
the child ids and parent ids as same. For example, the Company Link Id could be 1 and so could
be id=1

> Thanks and Regards,
> Preeti Bhat

However, they are stored separately, so the parent and child documents would be searched and
return separately unless you use appropriate queries, document transformers, etc.

> You'd also need to tag your parent/child documents with document type (obviously, CompanyLink
for child documents here) and assign individual IDs.

> SolrJ supports nested documents too.
>
> Regards,
>    Alex.
> ----
> Solr Example reading group is starting November 2016, join us at http://j.mp/SolrERG
> http://www.solr-start.com/
>

> On 24 October 2016 at 05:46, Preeti Bhat <preeti.bhat@shoregrp.com> wrote:
>> HI All,
>>
>> I have a requirement which needs the documents to be stored in the below format.
Could someone please advise on whether this is possible in SOLR?

>> {
>> Id:1
>> Name:"ABC"
>> CompanyLink:[ {CompanyId:2, email:abc.bcd@dba.com} , {CompanyId:4,
>> email:abc.bcd@dbcc.com}
>>                         ]
>> }
>>
>> Is this achievable through SOLRJ? Also, is there any expected impact on performance
of the search or index due to storage in this format?

>> Thanks and Regards,
>> Preeti Bhat
>>

>> NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: This communication may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this communication in
error) please notify the sender and it-support@shoregrp.com immediately, and destroy this
communication. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this
communication is strictly forbidden. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient
should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.