lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: solr 5 leaving tomcat, will I be the only one fearing about this?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2016 09:05:40 GMT
To give an exanmple:

While you earlier would do some thing like

Download and install Tomcat (or some other servlet container)
Setup Tomcat as a service
Download and unpack Solr
Create a SOLR_HOME folder with correct content
copy solr.war into tomcat/webapps
set CATALINA_OPTS=“-Dsolr.solr.home=/path/to/home -Dsolr.x.y=z…. GC-flags etc”
Setup  Tomcat as a service
service tomcat start

You would with 6.x do:

Download Solr and unpack the install-script
solr/bin/install_solr_service solr-6.2.0.tgz  # Install
Tune /etc/default/solr.in.sh to your likings (mem, port, solr-home, Zk etc)
service solr start (or bin/solr start [options])

Your client would talk to Solr on typically http://host.name:8983/solr/ as a standalone server,
not as one out of many webapps on 8080.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect