lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Facetting on a field doesn't work, until i optimized the index
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:21:43 GMT
That's strange....

Is there any chance that the schema changed? This is _really_ a shot
in the dark, but perhaps the optimize "normalized" the field
definitions stored with each segment.

Imagine segments 1-5 have one definition, and segments 6-10 have a
different definition for your field. Optimize would have to resolve
this somehow, perhaps that process made the magic happen?

NOTE: I'm not conversant with the internals of merge, so this may be
totally bogus......

Best,
Erick

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 6:15 AM, Markus Jelsma
<markus.jelsma@openindex.io> wrote:
> Hello - we've just spotted the weirdest issue on Solr 6.1.
>
> We have a Solr index full of logs, new items are added every few minutes. We also have
an application that shows charts based on what's in the index, Banana style.

> Yesterday we saw facets for a specific field were missing. Today we checked it out until
we reduced the facet query just to facet=true&facet.field=FIELD, but it returned nothing
of use, just an empty set of facets.

> My colleague suggested the crazy idea to optimize the index, i protested because it is
no use, numDoc always equals maxDoc and the optimize button was missing anyway. So i forced
an optimize via the URL, and it worked, the facets for that field are now back!