lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSON Facets and excluded tags - not working for empty results
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:17:10 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Stefan Matheis <stefan@mathe.is> wrote:
> I’m not entirely sure i’m describing the correct problem here - for now it looks
like the only way it occurs and i hope it’s not misleading any pointers that would be helpful.
so in case you think i got it wrong, please say so

> I have two documents in the index [{"source":"foo"}, {"source":"bar”}] where source
is a simple string field (indexed as well as stored, if that’ll matter).

> Using
>
>> ?q=*:*
>> &fq={!tag=source}source:"meh"
>> &json.facet={"source":{"type":"terms","field":"source","domain":{"excludeTags":"source"}}}
>
> where meh is a value that is not available for source, i get no results (expected) but
no facets as well - which is rather unexpected to me. as soon as i go with source:”bar”
(or something else that yields at least one record) i’m getting a record back and as well
facets.

A case this simple should be categorized as a bug...

Background: the JSON Facet API does not execute sub-facets for a facet
bucket with a 0 count (and the root facet bucket is like any other
facet bucket).
This was to help prevent the combinatorial explosion of deeply nested
sub-facets with useless information.

This is obviously incorrect though, when a sub-facet does something
that can expand the domain rather than just restrict it.  Facet
exclusions are one of these cases.
For zero facet buckets, we should check if any sub-facets have these
properties and then recurse if so.

-Yonik

> which is why i’ve started of with the idea that there might be a correlation between
those things. verifying the situation using the old facet approach i always get the expected
facets back, no matter if the result is empty or not.