lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSON Facets and excluded tags - not working for empty results
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:27:41 GMT
I opened

-Yonik

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Yonik Seeley <yseeley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Stefan Matheis <stefan@mathe.is> wrote:
>> I’m not entirely sure i’m describing the correct problem here - for now it looks
like the only way it occurs and i hope it’s not misleading any pointers that would be helpful.
so in case you think i got it wrong, please say so

>> I have two documents in the index [{"source":"foo"}, {"source":"bar”}] where source
is a simple string field (indexed as well as stored, if that’ll matter).

>> Using
>>
>>> ?q=*:*
>>> &fq={!tag=source}source:"meh"
>>> &json.facet={"source":{"type":"terms","field":"source","domain":{"excludeTags":"source"}}}
>>
>> where meh is a value that is not available for source, i get no results (expected)
but no facets as well - which is rather unexpected to me. as soon as i go with source:”bar”
(or something else that yields at least one record) i’m getting a record back and as well
facets.

> A case this simple should be categorized as a bug...
>
> Background: the JSON Facet API does not execute sub-facets for a facet
> bucket with a 0 count (and the root facet bucket is like any other
> facet bucket).
> This was to help prevent the combinatorial explosion of deeply nested
> sub-facets with useless information.
>
> This is obviously incorrect though, when a sub-facet does something
> that can expand the domain rather than just restrict it.  Facet
> exclusions are one of these cases.
> For zero facet buckets, we should check if any sub-facets have these
> properties and then recurse if so.
>
> -Yonik
>

>> which is why i’ve started of with the idea that there might be a correlation between
those things. verifying the situation using the old facet approach i always get the expected
facets back, no matter if the result is empty or not.