lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Sandeep Khanzode <sandeep_khanz...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject StrField with Wildcard Search
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 09:35:02 GMT
Hello,
There are quite a few links that detail the difference between StrField and TextField. Also
links that explain that, even though the field is indexed, it is not tokenized and stored
as a single keyword, as can be verified by the debug analysis on Solr admin and CURL debugQuery
options.
What I am unable to understand is how a wildcard works on StrFields? For example, if the name
is "John Doe" and I search for "John*", I get that match. Which means, that somewhere deep
within, maybe a Trie or Dictionary representation exists that allows this search with a partial
string.
I would have assumed that wildcard would match on TextFields which allow (Edge)NGramFilters,
etc.  -- SRK