lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Demian Katz <demian.k...@villanova.edu>
Subject Installing Solr with Ivy
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 15:04:04 GMT
As a follow-up to last week's thread about loading Solr via dependency manager, I started experimenting
with using Ivy to install Solr. Here's what I have (note that I'm trying to install Solr 5.5.0
as an arbitrary example, but that detail should not be important):

ivy.xml:

<ivy-module version="2.0">
    <info organisation="org.vufind" module="vufind"/>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency org="org.apache.solr" name="solr-parent" rev="5.5.0" />
    </dependencies>
</ivy-module>

build.xml:

<project xmlns:ivy="antlib:org.apache.ivy.ant" name="vufind" default="resolve">
    <target name="resolve" description="--> retrieve dependencies with ivy">
        <ivy:retrieve />
    </target>
</project>

My hope, based on a quick read of some Ivy tutorials, was that simply running "ant" with the
above configs would give me a copy of Solr in my lib directory. When I use example libraries
from the tutorials in my ivy.xml, I do indeed get files installed... but when I try to substitute
the Solr package,
no files are installed ("0 artifacts copied"). I'm not very experienced with any of these
tools or repositories, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

- Do I need to add some extra configuration somewhere to tell Ivy to download the constituent
parts of the solr-parent package?
- Is the solr-parent package the wrong thing to be using? (I tried replacing solr-parent with
solr-core and ended up with many .jar files in my lib directory, which was better than nothing,
but the .jar files were not organized into a directory structure and were not accompanied
by any of the non-.jar files like shell scripts that make Solr tick).
- Am I just completely on the wrong track? (I do realize that there may not be a way to pull
a fully-functional Solr out of the core Maven repository... but it seemed worth a try!)

thanks,
Demian