lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: SolrCloud not commit documents automatically
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2016 16:35:25 GMT
On 7/1/2016 10:01 AM, Chet Rebman wrote:
> <updateHandler class="solr.DirectUpdateHandler2">
>    <autoCommit>
>       <maxTime>${solr.autoCommit.maxTime:15000}</maxTime>
>       <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
>    </autoCommit>
>    <autoSoftCommit>
>       <maxTime>${solr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime:-1}</maxTime>
>    </autoSoftCommit>
> </updateHandler>
>
> My understanding is this should performa a hard commit every 15 seconds.

Yes, that is exactly what it will do -- but none of those commits will
make new documents visible.  The autoCommit has openSearcher set to false.

Don't change openSearcher to true -- the reason this config is there has
nothing to do with document visibility -- it is about durability and
transaction log size.

http://lucidworks.com/blog/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

You'll need to use explicit commits, commitWithin, or autoSoftCommit for
document visibility.  Make these commits as infrequently as you can --
an interval of several minutes if that's possible.  Opening a searcher
is very resource-intensive, and not something you want to be doing
frequently.

Thanks,
Shawn