lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Whelan, Andy" <awhe...@srcinc.com>
Subject Facet in SOLR Cloud vs Core
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 18:28:20 GMT
Hello,

I have am somewhat of a novice when it comes to using SOLR in a distributed SolrCloud environment.
My team and I are doing development work with a SOLR core. We will shortly be transitioning
over to a SolrCloud environment.

My question specifically has to do with Facets in a SOLR cloud/collection (distributed environment).
The core I am working with has a field "dataSourceName" defined as following in its schema.xml
file.

<field name="dataSourceName" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true" required="true"/>

I am using the following facet query which works fine in more Core based index

http://localhost:8983/solr/gamra/select?q=*:*&rows=0&facet=true&facet.field=dataSourceName

It returns counts for each distinct dataSourceName as follows (which is the desired behavior).

<lst name="facet_fields">
       <lst name="dataSourceName">
          <int name="DATA_SOURCE1">169</int>
          <int name=" DATA_SOURCE2">121</int>
          <int name=" DATA_SOURCE3">68</int>
       </lst>
</lst>

I am wondering if this should work fine in the SOLR Cloud as well?  Will this method give
me accurate counts out of the box in a SOLR Cloud configuration?

Thanks
-Andrew

PS: The reason I ask is because I know there is some estimating performed in certain cases
for the Facet "unique" function (as is outlined here: http://yonik.com/solr-count-distinct/
). So I guess I am wondering why folks wouldn't just do what I have done vs going throught
the trouble of using the unique(dataSourceName) function?