lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Rallavagu <rallav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solr.NRTCachingDirectoryFactory
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2016 05:25:57 GMT

On 7/21/16 9:16 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 7/21/2016 9:37 AM, Rallavagu wrote:
>> I suspect swapping as well. But, for my understanding - are the index
>> files from disk memory mapped automatically at the startup time?
>
> They are *mapped* at startup time, but they are not *read* at startup.
> The mapping just sets up a virtual address space for the entire file,
> but until something actually reads the data from the disk, it will not
> be in memory.  Getting the data in memory is what makes mmap fast.
>
> http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html
>
>> We are not performing "commit" after every update and here is the
>> configuration for softCommit and hardCommit.
>>
>> <autoCommit>
>>        <maxTime>${solr.autoCommit.maxTime:15000}</maxTime>
>>        <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
>> </autoCommit>
>>
>> <autoSoftCommit>
>>        <maxTime>${solr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime:120000}</maxTime>
>> </autoSoftCommit>
>>
>> I am seeing QTimes (for searches) swing between 10 seconds - 2
>> seconds. Some queries were showing the slowness caused to due to
>> faceting (debug=true). Since we have adjusted indexing and facet times
>> are improved but basic query QTime is still high so wondering where
>> can I look? Is there a way to debug (instrument) a query on Solr node?
>
> Assuming you have not defined the maxTime system properties mentioned in
> those configs, that config means you will potentially be creating a new
> searcher every two minutes ... but if you are sending explicit commits
> or using commitWithin on your updates, then the true situation may be
> very different than what's configured here.

> Assuming there's no other software on the system besides the one
> instance of Solr with a 12GB heap, this would mean that you have enough
> room to cache the entire index.  What OS are you running on? With that
> information, I may be able to relay some instructions that will help
> determine what the complete memory situation is on your server.

There is no other software running on the system and it is completely
dedicated to Solr. It is running on Linux. Here is the full version.

Linux version 3.8.13-55.1.6.el7uek.x86_64
(mockbuild@ca-build56.us.oracle.com) (gcc version 4.8.3 20140911 (Red
Hat 4.8.3-9) (GCC) ) #2 SMP Wed Feb 11 14:18:22 PST 2015

Thanks