lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From MaryJo Sminkey <>
Subject Re: [E] Re: Faceting Question(s)
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 05:53:11 GMT
On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:25 AM, Erick Erickson <>

> We can always use more documentation. One of the
> valuable things about people getting started is that it's an
> opportunity to clarify documents. Sometimes the people who
> develop/write the docs jump into the middle and assume
> the reader has knowledge they couldn't be expected to have....
> Hint, hint.....

Well not sure how best to document this but it basically related to using
some of the edismax parameters, doing boosts on search fields, using the
phrase matching and phrase boosts, etc. all which are intended to work on
actual search terms. I had added these to my config but in some of my
searches, the filters do all the work and I just have a wildcard search
(q=*.*). It seems that if you have entries for these edismax settings, and
do this kind of search, you can get some odd results ( I didn't really
track down which setting exactly was the culprit but it definitely related
to the edismax-specific params). In my case, some of the docs that should
have showed up based on the filters were going missing. Once I figured this
out and moved the edismax params out of the defaults and only turned them
on when I had actual search terms, I got the results I expected. But it
took quite a lot of time to track them down as the cause due to the
complexity of the code I am working with.

So I guess what would be useful would be a caution on the Edismax page
about having these parameters set when you have wildcard searches possible
(Not sure if this applies to dismax as parser as well but probably does).

Mary Jo

Sent with MailTrack

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message