lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Hui Liu <h...@opentext.com>
Subject RE: Questions regarding re-index when using Solr as a data source
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:41:27 GMT
Walter,

	Thank you for your advice. We are new to Solr and have been using Oracle for past 10+ years,
so we are used to the idea of having a tool that can be used as both data store and also searchable
by having indexes on top of it. I guess the reason we are considering Solr as data store is
due to it has some features of a database that our application requires, such as 1) be able
to detect duplicate record by having a unique field; 2) allow us to do concurrent update by
using Optimistic concurrency control feature; 3) its 'replication' feature allowing us to
store multiple copies of data; so if we were to use a file system, we will not have the above
features (at least not 1 and 2) and have to implement those ourselves. The other option is
to pick another database tool such as Mysql or Cassandra, then we will need to learn and support
an additional tool besides Solr; but you brought up several very good points about operational
factors we should consider if we pick Solr as a data store. Also our application is more of
a OLTP than OLAP. I will update our colleagues and stakeholders about these concerns. Thanks
again!

Regards,
Hui
-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Underwood [mailto:wunder@wunderwood.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2016 1:24 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Questions regarding re-index when using Solr as a data source

In the HowToReindex page, under “Using Solr as a Data Store”, it says this: "Don't do
this unless you have no other option. Solr is not really designed for this role.” So don’t
start by planning to do this.

Using a second copy of Solr is still using Solr as a repository. That doesn’t satisfy any
sort of requirements for disaster recovery. How do you know that data is good? How do you
make a third copy? How do you roll back to a previous version? How do you deal with a security
breach that affects all your systems? Are the systems in the same data center? How do you
deal with ransomware (U. of Calgary paid $20K yesterday)?

If a consultant suggested this to me, I’d probably just give up and get a different consultant.

Here is what we do for batch loading.

1. For each Solr collection, we define a JSONL feed format, with a JSON Schema.
2. The owners of the data write an extractor to pull the data out of wherever it is, then
generate the JSON feed.
3. We validate the JSON feed against the JSON schema.
4. If the feed is valid, we save it to Amazon S3 along with a manifest which lists the version
of the JSON Schema.
5. Then a multi-threaded loader reads the feed and sends it to Solr.

Reloading is safe and easy, because all the feeds in S3 are valid.

Storing backups in S3 instead of running a second Solr is massively cheaper, easier, and safer.

We also have a clear contract between the content owners and the search team. That contract
is enforced by the JSON Schema on every single batch.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 9:51 AM, Hui Liu <hliu@opentext.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Walter,
>
> Thank you for the reply, sorry I need to clarify what I mean by 'migrate tables' from
Oracle to Solr, we are not literally move existing records from Oracle to Solr, instead, we
are building a new application directly feed data into Solr as document and fields, in parallel
of another existing application which feeds the same data into Oracle tables/columns, of course,
the Solr schema will be somewhat different than Oracle; also we only keep those data for 90
days for user to search on, we hope once we run both system in parallel for some time (>
90 days), we will build up enough new data in Solr and we no longer need any old data in Oracle,
by then we will be able to use Solr as our only data store.

> It sounds to me that we may need to consider save the data into either file system, or
another database, in case we need to rebuild the indexes; and the reason I mentioned to save
data into another Solr system is by reading this info from https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToReindex
: so just trying to get a feedback on if there is any update on this approach? And any better
way to do this to minimize the downtime caused by the schema change and re-index? For example,
in Oracle, we are able to add a new column or new index online without any impact of existing
queries as existing indexes are intact.

> Alternatives when a traditional reindex isn't possible
>
> Sometimes the option of "do your indexing again" is difficult. Perhaps the original data
is very slow to access, or it may be difficult to get in the first place.

> Here's where we go against our own advice that we just gave you. Above we said "don't
use Solr itself as a datasource" ... but one way to deal with data availability problems is
to set up a completely separate Solr instance (not distributed, which for SolrCloud means
numShards=1) whose only job is to store the data, then use the SolrEntityProcessor in the
DataImportHandler to index from that instance to your real Solr install. If you need to reindex,
just run the import again on your real installation. Your schema for the intermediate Solr
install would have stored="true" and indexed="false" for all fields, and would only use basic
types like int, long, and string. It would not have any copyFields.

> This is the approach used by the Smithsonian for their Solr installation, because getting
access to the source databases for the individual entities within the organization is very
difficult. This way they can reindex the online Solr at any time without having to get special
permission from all those entities. When they index new content, it goes into a copy of Solr
configured for storage only, not in-depth searching. Their main Solr instance uses SolrEntityProcessor
to import from the intermediate Solr servers, so they can always reindex.

> Regards,
> Hui

the data in a database, not in Solr.

> Second, you can’t “migrate tables” because Solr doesn’t have tables. You need
to turn the tables into documents, then index the documents. It can take a lot of joins to
flatten a relational schema into Solr documents.

> Solr does not support schema migration, so yes, you will need to save off all the documents,
then reload them. I would save them to files. It makes no sense to put them in another copy
of Solr.

> Changing the schema will be difficult and time-consuming, but you’ll probably run into
much worse problems trying to use Solr as a repository.

> wunder
> Walter Underwood
> wunder@wunderwood.org<mailto:wunder@wunderwood.org>
>

>> On Jun 9, 2016, at 8:50 AM, Hui Liu <hliu@opentext.com<mailto:hliu@opentext.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>>             We are porting an application currently hosted in Oracle 11g to Solr
Cloud 6.x, i.e we plan to migrate all tables in Oracle as collections in Solr, index them,
and build search tools on top of this; the goal is we won't be using Oracle at all after this
has been implemented; every fields in Solr will have 'stored=true' and selectively a subset
of searchable fields will have 'indexed=true'; the question is what steps we should follow
if we need to re-index a collection after making some schema changes - mostly we only add
new fields to store, or make a non-indexed field as indexed, we normally do not delete or
rename any existing fields; according to this url: https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToReindex
it seems we need to setup a 'intermediate' Solr1 to only store the data themselves without
any indexing, then have another Solr2 setup to store the indexed data, and in case of re-index,
just delete all the documents in Solr2 for the collection and re-import data from Solr1 into
Solr2 using SolrEntityProcessor (from dataimport handler)? Is this still the recommended approach?
I can see the downside of this approach is if we have tremendous amount of data for a collection
(some of our collection could have several billions of documents), re-import it from Solr1
to Solr2 may take a few hours or even days, and during this time, users cannot query the data,
is there any better way to do this and avoid this type of down time? Any feedback is appreciated!